How Serious Is Black Mold, and How to Prevent It from Growing

Mold is one of the most common living things on Earth.  This slimy substance loves damp environments and grows both indoors (in showers, basements, and garages) and outdoors.  You’ve likely heard of black mold as the worst type of mold that can be toxic.  The good news is that’s not entirely true.  While you don’t want black mold to be your freeloading roommate, not all kinds of black mold (in color) are toxic.  The type to look out for and eliminate ASAP is Stachybotrys chartarum.  But how are you supposed to identify the type of black mold that you have?  You’re not.  This is where Water Resto and our team of professionals will come in to assist.

Exposure to black mold is not something to mess around with.  It can cause:

  • Coughing
  • Dry, scaly skin
  • Itchy eyes, nose, and throat
  • A stuffy or runny nose
  • Sneezing
  • Trouble breathing
  • Watery eyes

Certain groups of people are more sensitive to mold exposure:

  • Very young people
  • Very old people
  • People with compromised immune systems
  • People with existing health conditions

While you’re waiting for a mold remediation specialist to arrive, here are a few steps to take to stop the mold from growing:

  • Fix any leaky items like pipes, roofing, and windows
  • Keep humidity levels in your home low with a dehumidifier
  • Keep your shower, laundry, and cooking areas well ventilated
  • Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products
  • Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked.  Try not to use carpet in places like bathrooms or basements that may have a lot of moisture.

While black mold won’t kill you, it can cause a variety of health issues.  Contact us today for more information on our mold remediation services.

Get a Quote
Get a Quote